Festivals!

OOC discussions directly related to Dasaria.
Sahji
Dasarian Scout
Main Player Character: Terrah
Other PCs: Ioe, Fyvre, Willow
Bioware Username: Sahjii

Festivals!

Postby Sahji » Mon May 14, 2012 3:29 am

I find Dasaria severely lacking in festivals. Cultures across the world have a variety of festivals, but Dasaria seems strangely devoid of that kind of embellishment.

SO! I propose the following:

Certain days attributed to each god of the pantheon.
Some festivals primarily Varanite, some old Dasarian. The latter of course being frowned on celebrating (if not outright banned, stolen, masked, etc).

And here's how it would work:
We set a date. All throughout that day is XY day, with certain social norms to be roleplayed throughout. This would be primarily player-driven--is it Teshalia's day? Get drunk, go dancing, lose your inhibitions!! Marduk day? Come down to the arena and test your fellow Dasarians' skills!

Let's talk, Dasarians. What do you think about festivals? Which festivals should we have, on what days? What would they consist of?

Sahji
Dasarian Scout

The Dieties and Some Related Festivals

Postby Sahji » Mon May 14, 2012 4:48 am

Some ideas to get us started...:
  • Lochwar - A day of solemn and stern homage to Lochwar. Pilgrimage to the temple of Lochwar... Widespread Inquisition? [Winter]

Etoth - A day of law and order. Public punishments, day of oath swearing, admissions of guilt... [Fall or Winter]

Coloth - Um....day of...hexing ones enemies? ....Maybe normal folk celebrate this by doing things to ward off evil hexes. :lol: [Fall]

Farallis - Day of sharing knowledge, magic shows, public debate, lectures in the library, pilgrimage to the temple, praying for knowledge. [Spring]

Ineania - Two days: Spring, of the seeding and the appreciation of the beauty and youth. Farm gatherings, flowers sold, some dancing (maypole like?), colorful attire. Fall, the Harvest, appreciation for the bounty of food. Farm gatherings, lots of eating, communal prayer, gifts/sacrifices to Ineania for the next year's harvest. [Spring/Fall]

Peralia - Day of remembrance, mourning, grave cleaning/administering, lighting candles for the lost and unknown dead. Dark attire, hats and veils. Day of condolences. [Fall or Winter]

Teshalia - Two days, in a row. Day of Passion, and Day of Fools. Day of Passion is more mild: dancing, light drinking/indulging, music, poetry, spending time with a mate. Mostly revolving around bars or private parties. Day of Fools is of masks, gambling, binge indulgences, and tricks/disguises throughout the streets. [Summer]

Iaosia - Day of nature appreciation, making sacrifices to appease the wilds, teaching of survival skills; the release of a pig into the wild. [Summer]

Tharon - Day of honor, battle, the teaching of technique, challenging others to combat, large arena team events, soldier marches, appreciation of the soldier class (honors/awards given out, general veteran appreciation), Military speeches. [Spring, Summer, or Fall]

Nuarari - (Possibly on winter solstice?) Day of peace, rest (no work), sharing and interpreting dreams, prophecy, hallucinations (drug or magic induced) [winter]

Brintha - Day of crafting faires, open shops, harsh thief punishments, showing off inventions and special rare items, appreciation of buildings and their materials. [Fall]

Culnul - Not really a day worshipped by the public, but a day for cultists to come together, do their dark deeds, dig up graves en masse, well you get the idea. [Summer or Fall]

Rhauth - Day of the Sea, appreciation of seafood, sailing, sacrifices to the sea for its bounty and to protect sailors, day of swimming, taboo to fish, release of goldfish into ponds. [Summer]

Tyrak - Day of cleansing (ones home), of large bonfires and coal-walking, the purification of the self through hardship or pain, the burning of painful memories (keepsakes no longer wanted). Fire safety talks...[Spring]

Rel - Day of purification, generosity and piety, of the lighting of candles, sanctuary [Winter or Spring]
Last edited by Sahji on Mon May 14, 2012 6:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

ChemicalAgent
Dasarian Scout
Main Player Character: Thorstrom, Kelgan, Nathe
Other PCs: Chenalden
Tanaud Stormbeard
Jawin
Nathe
Eoras
Kogen the Astute
Larin Contremortuus

Re: Festivals!

Postby ChemicalAgent » Mon May 14, 2012 5:06 am

Sounds like a plan!
ImageImageImage

Asgaroth
Commoner
Main Player Character: Ysberin Vaughan
Other PCs: Kalyndra, Velvana, Gabrielle Dawnstar, Maria Samavati, Eleanore Nuleivra, Providence Az-Kalla

Postby Asgaroth » Mon May 14, 2012 5:27 am

First of all: ENDORSED!
Here some suggested dates they could be done:

Lochwar: January 7th, a week after the new year, show respect to the Lord of the Gods to gain His favor for the year
Etoth: September 11th, in memorium of the events of that day
Coloth: October 3rd, just random as well
Farallis: August 22nd, 2 day before the offical "back-to-school" day here
Ineania: March 21st and September 21th, why not use the beginning of the new seasons there?
Peralia: November 10th, 9 days after the day of the deads here, where we do like described in Sahjii's post (delayed due to Culnul)
Teshalia: June 24th and 25th, actually national Quebec day, and where most people usually get dead drunk here
Iaosia: June 7th, 2 weeks before summer, where nature is fresh and alive, prepare for incoming summer
Tharon: July 7th, 3 days after the independance day, seems fitting
Nuarari: Febuary 12th, two days before Valentine's day, although I have no good reason, a bit random
Brintha: July 15th, here, last two weeks of July, many people are off to allow less traffic to rebuild/repair the roads
Culnul: October 31st, reasons are obvious I guess, hehe
Rhauth: May 10th, about the date here where the lakes are completely melted and that weather finally gets warmer with no more ice
Tyrak: April 14th, 3 weeks after spring started, lots of people do a great house cleaning (outdoor/indoor) beginning there, in ref to Sahjii's suggestion
Rel: December 27th, close to Chrismas but not 25th since nobody would be there, birth of the Christ, brings light and hope

Cypher
2014 BEST SCREENSHOT WINNER!
Main Player Character: Ward Aylows
Other PCs: Aedric Webber
Bioware Username: CypherJL

Postby Cypher » Mon May 14, 2012 5:38 am

I completely endorse this! Would make excellent RP opportunities
Ward Aylows the Warlock

Alterity
Forum Troll
Main Player Character: Vanguard Captain Firin D'Adlaer
Other PCs: Korangar "The Wall"
Aaronn
Lumme Cirth'Arda
Glanin Redleafe
Heironius Blackaster
Artimaye Veraquez
Sir Hyel Loremaster
Alesan
Bioware Username: Alterity

Postby Alterity » Mon May 14, 2012 1:34 pm

Awesome.
Culnul: October 31st, reasons are obvious I guess, hehe
Das already celebrates Halloween(especially in Aucklorn Mills), perhaps November 1st would be better?
Teshalia: June 24th and 25th, actually national Quebec day, and where most people usually get dead drunk here
I'd say push that to Feb 12th/13th. It falls the 2 days before valentines day, but also has the added benefit of it falling on Friday the 13th every couple years Unluck on the Goddess of Luck's day?

Though we should give them some IC reasons for existing?
Coloth - Um....day of...hexing ones enemies? ....Maybe normal folk celebrate this by doing things to ward off evil hexes. [Fall]
Could also be something like April Fools, though perhaps that falls more under Lochwar's domain.
Sir Hyel Loremaster- Knight of Argentum Vigilo, Archmage of Ordo Magica , Slayer of Zumen the Winged Death, & Head Librarian of the Great Library of Cear- Captain Firin- Korangar "The Wall" - Lucian Rhaz - & Glanin Redleafe.

MaoOn
Dasarian Scout
Main Player Character: Melanie Thana
Other PCs: Yes
Bioware Username: White

Postby MaoOn » Mon May 14, 2012 3:53 pm

I'll endorse this too, a great idea!
Melanie Thana - Princess of Death
Adele d'Payens - Paladin who fell from grace
Vanadiel Perseus - Silver Knight of Shadows
Kaelan Sendon - The man who never ran (KIA)

Crimson
Dasarian Scout
Main Player Character: Darion Crimson
Bioware Username: The Nepharian

Postby Crimson » Mon May 14, 2012 3:55 pm

The Crim agrees. The Crim rules.
“They say dragons never truly die. No matter how many times you kill them.”

Sahji
Dasarian Scout

Postby Sahji » Mon May 14, 2012 3:56 pm

I'd say push that to Feb 12th/13th. It falls the 2 days before valentines day, but also has the added benefit of it falling on Friday the 13th every couple years Unluck on the Goddess of Luck's day?

Though we should give them some IC reasons for existing?
No, the Teshalia days should occur in the height of summer. June and July, when people's passions are at their highest, and parties can fall into the streets without the worry of snow.
Could also be something like April Fools, though perhaps that falls more under Lochwar's domain.
Yeah, I'm not familiar with Lochwar or Coloth. Even Culnul, but at least his domain seems a bit more solid. I was thinking with Lochwar, it would be a time to swear fealty to him as the leader of the gods--not a time for us mortals, but true fear and pilgrimage.

Luis4u
Dasarian Hero
Main Player Character: Lagnapis Stormbeard
Other PCs: Geodon WoodSoul, Xanward Strombeard
Bioware Username: Banokles z Mykenu

Postby Luis4u » Mon May 14, 2012 4:43 pm

I love that Idea!

Jain Zar
Dasarian Hero
Main Player Character: Depheant Makepeace
Other PCs: Elvina Hellcat, Garet Mellan, Lucius Eberhardt, Sin...

Postby Jain Zar » Mon May 14, 2012 5:44 pm

Hehehe ;-)
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
Falcon Knight Garet Mellan, Lucius Eberhardt, Madam Franciezka, Knight-Aspirant Depheant Makepeace, Magister Elvina Hellcat, Sirvius Darkmoon

Lollegag
Commoner
Bioware Username: Lollegag

Postby Lollegag » Mon May 14, 2012 8:21 pm

Count me in for this one! I love the Idea!

Alterity
Forum Troll
Main Player Character: Vanguard Captain Firin D'Adlaer
Other PCs: Korangar "The Wall"
Aaronn
Lumme Cirth'Arda
Glanin Redleafe
Heironius Blackaster
Artimaye Veraquez
Sir Hyel Loremaster
Alesan
Bioware Username: Alterity

Postby Alterity » Tue May 15, 2012 1:33 am

No, the Teshalia days should occur in the height of summer. June and July, when people's passions are at their highest, and parties can fall into the streets without the worry of snow.
Good point!
Yeah, I'm not familiar with Lochwar or Coloth. Even Culnul, but at least his domain seems a bit more solid. I was thinking with Lochwar, it would be a time to swear fealty to him as the leader of the gods--not a time for us mortals, but true fear and pilgrimage.
Yeah, Lochwar's seems right. Hes more the king of the gods then the lord of trickery at the moment. Coloth: "Coloth (Anshar/Alinkahar) - "Lord of Darkness, Evil Magics and Nightmares, The Plague of Sleep" "
Etoth - A day of law and order. Public punishments, day of oath swearing, admissions of guilt... [Fall or Winter]
It'd be an awesome day to do all public executions :D that weren't urgent!

Let all criminals fear Etoth day! :twisted:
Sir Hyel Loremaster- Knight of Argentum Vigilo, Archmage of Ordo Magica , Slayer of Zumen the Winged Death, & Head Librarian of the Great Library of Cear- Captain Firin- Korangar "The Wall" - Lucian Rhaz - & Glanin Redleafe.

DM Sebek
Dasarian
Bioware Username: DM Sebek

Postby DM Sebek » Tue May 15, 2012 1:43 pm

Surprise :D I am preparing something for you all for some time :) Have a look at this post

If you got any questions, suggestions, please Pm or write here :)

Ramblinwomble
Dasarian Hero
Main Player Character: Karis Savanka

Postby Ramblinwomble » Tue May 15, 2012 10:02 pm

Yeah, Lochwar's seems right. Hes more the king of the gods then the lord of trickery at the moment.
Surely masked costume balls are also Lochwar's thing, excellent opportunities for deception and betrayal...

Return to “General Discussion”