Exploits and Good Server Etiquette

Server rules, PvP ruleset, Character naming-guidelines, forum code of conduct. The Administrators of Dasaria expect you to read and be familiar with this content.

Moderator: A&SI Moderators

Wired
Retired

Exploits and Good Server Etiquette

Postby Wired » Tue Nov 27, 2007 4:05 pm

Just a friendly reminder that exploits do exist, more will probably be found, some fixable, some not. Either way, the expectation of the staff here is that you not take advantage of exploits or otherwise game the platform in order to accrue benefits you are not entitled to. Pretty simple.

Now I could outline some kind of long list of "don't dos," but frankly it could go on for a while. More importantly it's not the sort of thing I want to spend my time on. I trust that most players have a "little DM" inside their heads that tells them when what they're about to do might be considered foul play anyway.

Really it's pretty simple. Respect the DMs and your fellow players, Don't exploit, and a DMs ruling is a final determination.

When you first come onto the server, you're faced with a sign that reminds you to review the server rules before you begin playing. Just in case anyone missed it, I'd like to reiterate here some of the ideas expressed on the Fundamentals page there.
Bug reporting and exploits

Exploit Definition: Taking advantage of a shortcoming of the nwn engine or a loophole/mistake for gains outside of the scope of normal player progression or fantasy context is an exploit.

If you find something that is a bug or exploit, report it here in the bug reporting forum A.S.A.P. We will not make announcements of bugs or exploits we find ourselves, they'll just be fixed. If we find someone repeatedly exploting a bug without reporting it, or sharing bug exploits with other players (not counting the report here), they will be penalized.

Exploiting a bug or loophole is a SEVERE offense. Depending on severity, you may lose levels, have your vault folder deleted, or your CD key banned. This will happen WITHOUT warning or notice. Obviously, something happening once or twice and then you reporting it to us and never doing it again is NOT considered an offense. Helping someone else exploit IS an offense. If you see someone exploiting and report it to us, we will not disclose the reporter's identity to anyone (at which point we will investigate the reporter's claim).

We are very serious about this and will be cracking down on it.
Enforcement

A DM's judgement call is the final word in game on any issue. There is to be no argument once a call has been made. If you disagree with a decision, you may email Jehannum at jehannum@dasaria.net to discuss it, but it is no longer an in-game issue.

Penalties for gross violations include:
1) Loss of character(s)
2) Loss of Levels
3) Banning

Ignorance of these rules is NOT a valid excuse nor defense. (It's pretty common sense anyways...)
Again, this is simply a reminder of our existing expectations.

In general, I think we're pretty easygoing here. DMs can't be in-game all the time anyway. For the most part, we expect players to comport themselves as members and citizens of this community, largely policing themselves. In general that works out pretty well, and has, for instance, allowed me to do things like open up previously-closed areas that had to be level-locked due to others' outrageous behavior in the past.

Every moment spent reminding people of the rules or being argued with by them is stealing from game development and DMing. When I see/hear/experience players exploiting and arguing with DMs, it makes me want to give up.

If you have any issue with any of this, you may PM me. If you have an issue with me, you can email Jeh at the address above.

Thanks for reading through this long message.
Cum eos testibus arripuisses, eorum corda mentesque sequentur

10/2

Wired
Retired

Re: Exploits and Good Server Etiquette

Postby Wired » Mon Sep 29, 2008 5:56 am

Because sometimes a Stickie isn't enough - -You may be CD Key banned if you are caught cheating.
Cum eos testibus arripuisses, eorum corda mentesque sequentur

10/2

Return to “Server Rules”